Dog Frog Poisoning: Dog Bites Frog
Frogs are small, slow-moving creatures, which makes them ideal targets for many predators-even the smallest cubs. To make up for their slow escape, many frogs are poisonous. This means that if a puppy eats, licks, or chews a frog, it is likely to be at risk of toad poisoning.
Puppies and dogs that live outdoors are most susceptible to poisoning, especially at dawn or dusk during the warm months when these amphibians are most active.
Symptoms of frog poisoning
Symptoms of frog poisoning usually appear soon after exposure. Depending on the type of frog your dog has been messing with, the symptoms may vary. Small dogs are also more susceptible than large dogs, and whether your dog really eats frogs will affect the effect.
You may see some or all of the following symptoms:
- Heavy drooling or drooling 1
- Sobbing, sobbing, crying, or howling
- Scratches in the mouth or eyes
- Changes in the color of the mucous membranes-they may be pale or inflamed, the color is red
- Difficulty breathing
- Vomiting or loss of appetite (lack of interest in food)
- Ataxia (moving like drunk or unstable)
- Seizures or crashes
- High body temperature
Unfortunately, many of these symptoms are very similar to most other symptoms of poisoning. On paper, frog poisoning looks very similar to antifreeze or chocolate poisoning. Unless you have seen a frog (or something that makes your dog sick), you and your veterinarian need to work together to diagnose the problem based on symptoms and background evidence.
Not surprisingly, frog poisoning occurs due to your dog’s close contact with frogs. This usually means that your dog puts the frog in its mouth to play or try to eat.
Poisonous Frog Species
In the United States, there are two main types of frogs to worry about. They are Colorado River Frog and Sugarcane Toad. The Colorado River Frog, also known as the Sonoran Desert Frog, lives in northern Mexico and the southwestern United States. This frog is considered an endangered species in California.
Reed toad is also called sea toad or giant tropical toad. These frogs are very large-up to 24 cm in length and are common in Texas, Florida, and Wajo. The cane toad is also very popular because it has been introduced into many neotropical regions, from Fiji to Cuba.
If you live in the northern United States, your dog is unlikely to come into contact with a potentially deadly frog. However, almost all kinds of frogs have terrible taste! If you are outside the United States, there may be other types to be aware of.
Urgent Care When Poisoning Is Suspected
Like most poisonings, this is a real emergency. Both types can be fatal quickly, even for large dogs. Since small amounts of venom are usually absorbed through the mucous membranes, frog poisoning cannot be treated by inducing vomiting. Unlike chocolate poisoning, there is nothing in the dog’s stomach to excrete it.
On the way to the hospital, if possible, rinse your dog’s mouth and mucous membranes with plenty of water. In this case, time is of the essence.
Once you go to the veterinarian, your veterinarian may perform a urinalysis (which may show high potassium levels), do a physical examination of your dog, and view an electrocardiogram (ECG). Most of the remaining methods to treat toad poisoning in dogs depend on keeping the dog comfortable and safe. Your dog will be closely monitored and may take pain relievers, take a cold bath, and/or take medications to help stabilize vital signs.
If you suspect toad poisoning, how important it is to take your dog to the veterinarian immediately cannot be overemphasized. Dogs who are taken to the vet within about 30 minutes after exposure to toad venom usually have a good prognosis. Otherwise, if the waiting time is too long, the dog has little chance of surviving with toad poisoning.
Prevent frog poisoning
If dogs spend a lot of time outdoors without supervision, they are at risk of toad poisoning. In warm, humid months, especially at dawn or dusk, they are more likely to come into contact with toads.
You can protect your dog from toad poisoning by supervising your dog outside. Teach him a strong “leave” signal and be very careful with puppies or dogs with large prey. If you know that your dog is likely to ignore your signal to stop and try to chase or eat, you should not let your dog roam freely outside.
You can also reduce the possibility of frogs entering your home by keeping the garden short and moving the water source away from the corners of the yard your dog likes.