How To: Set Up And Use Dropbox To Manage And Share Photos And Files
Before Dropbox became popular, there was iDisk, Apple’s cloud storage system. iDisk allows you to store documents, photos, and QuickTime and PDF files on a cloud-based “drive”. This is available on all their Apple products and me.com on PC. It is as practical as storing the most important Finder files on your computer, but it is everywhere.
Then iCloud appeared. iCloud has stopped supporting iDisk, which means that there is no longer a way to access all files on a system like Cloud Finder. This paved the way for the popularity of third-party applications such as Dropbox.
Dropbox is free. Dropbox can run on any platform: Mac, Windows, iOS, Android and Blackberry. However, Dropbox provides you with 2GB of free storage space and provides incentives to increase your free storage space.
Ways to Setup Your Drop box Account
There are two different ways to configure Dropbox:
- On your computer. Open a web browser, type www.dropbox.com, and then click the registration box in the blue box in the middle of the screen. Follow instructions
- On your mobile device. Go to the app store on your iOS, Android, Windows or Blackberry phone or tablet, and download.
- When downloading Dropbox to your device, it will ask if you are already a “Dropbox user” or “New Dropbox user”. If you are not familiar with Dropbox, you will need to fill out a short form and ask for your first name, last name, email and password. After creating an account, it asks for information about camera upload settings. I suggest you do this because this is another way to back up your photos. For example, on iOS devices, each photo and video will be automatically uploaded to the “Camera Uploads” folder.
- This means that every time you take a photo on your iOS device, it will be automatically backed up to Dropbox. It will even ask you how many times you want to back it up. Does it happen only when you are connected to a Wi-Fi network or when it is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network?
- I will click “Enable” and then want to access my photos. Grant access by clicking the OK button. When uploading a photo, it starts with the latest picture and then the oldest. The red number below the mountain-shaped image icon indicates how many photos you must upload.
- Now, I display Dropbox on my iOS device and via dropbox.com.
- Please note that the folders are the same. If you open the camera to upload, it will match.
How to Backup File on Dropbox?
Backing up photos on Dropbox means you can now access photos on any device. You will be located in a folder called Camera Downloads in Dropbox. After you put photos from your device here, you can continue to delete photos from your iOS device to free up storage space there and reduce the iCloud backup size. If photos need a lot of iCloud backup space, you can disable iCloud Camera Roll backup and just backup photos through Dropbox.
You can even organize pictures or files by putting them in separate folders. In the upper right corner of the desktop website, you can click the button with the blue folder, with a green plus sign in the middle to create a new folder. After that, to transfer files in it, you can right-click the desired image, then press “Transfer”, and then select the folder you want to place it in. Right-clicking also provides you with options such as dedicated sharing, downloading and deleting links to photos. Or rename, move, copy or view the previous version of this file.
Tips and Tricks
To organize pictures or files on iOS devices, you can press the button with three dots in the upper right corner. If you want to create a new folder, click “Create Folder” and name it. If you want to put pictures on it later, you can go to the camera’s “download” folder and press the three-dot buttons. This time, click on the selection and selection of editable items. When selecting the desired number, press the “Move” button, and then choose to place it in another folder.
On iOS devices, Dropbox will ask if you want to use instant notifications. For it, alerts usually remind you when to upload certain content to Dropbox. Or share files with others back and forth, and agree to share the folder or upload certain content to the folder.
If you use Dropbox, you can also easily share files with others. To participate in the computer, you must right-click the file.
If you are using an iOS device, you can click the file or folder you want to share. Then click the “Share” button, which has a square and a prominent arrow to the right of the button. After pressing, you can choose to send via email, SMS, Facebook message, post to Facebook, tweet or copy the link to the clipboard.
Apps That Daily Backup by Dropbox
However, it will also synchronize and backup data in other third-party applications. There are more than 100,000 applications on the Dropbox platform. Some of them include 1Password, WordPress, Day One, Mailbox, Yahoo Mail, Pic Stich, iA Writer, MusicDrop, TuneBox. Documents to Go, Scanner Pro, Cloud On, Vimeo, Notability, DM 1 The Drum Machine. Readability, GoodReader, Philips Hue and Animoto, just to name a few.
With all these outstanding Dropbox features, you definitely need them to provide you with more than 2 GB of available storage space. I mentioned before that you can increase the storage space is for free. The only way you can do this on an iOS device is to tell your friends about Dropbox. On iOS devices, at the bottom of the black bar, you will click the settings icon on the right. Scroll down until you see the “Introduce Dropbox to a friend” button, click it and you will receive an email with your friend.